In order to survive, got to learn to live with regrets.
- Jay Z, “Regrets,” Reasonable Doubt, 1996
My healthy mind…that’s what’s gon’ help me over.
Life of a stoner (if you still concerned),
I never lose, I only win or learn;
It’s all about your state of mind.
- Dizzy Wright, “State of Mind,” State of Mind EP, 2014
Talk to ‘em honestly and they call you a hater.
- Immortal Technique, “Eye in the Sky,” from The Martyr, 2011
“Screamin’ ‘Carpe Diem!’ until I’m a Dead Poet.”
– Jay Z, “3 Kings,” from Rick Ross’ God Forgives, I Don’t, 2012. Rest in peace to the legend Robin Williams. He was 63 years old.
And I can’t keep watching the same movie.
- Mick Jenkins, “Jazz,” The Water[s], 2014
The most memorable girl was a Gangsta Bitch.
We went out a lot, sometimes we dressed the same,
Lickin’ shots in the park and had pet names:
I called her ‘Dollars’ cause that’s what she liked to spend;
She called me ‘Diamond’ cause my dick was her best friend.
- Apache, “Gangsta Bitch,” Apache Ain’t Shit, 1993
Or somebody bite the dust and we split like ends.
Even in our wildest moments, girl, I’m on it cause you’re worth it.
Practice makes perfect, so we fightin’ for a purpose.
- A$AP Rocky, “Wildest Moments (Remix),” from Jessie Ware’s Devotion, 2013
That’s that Wu and Mobb shit; don’t turn it up…blast it.
- Ghostface Killah, “Dirt (Remix),” from Mobb Deep’s The Infamous Mobb Deep, 2014. More from Ghost >
The better you sell, the better future for their children.
Controversy sells, so they support conflict,
Makes more progress, means more profit.
An artist gets killed, they say they’re ‘so sorry,’
Meanwhile, they tell you the date of his next project.
What a life…death made them more profit:
Record companies get paid for your drama.
- Cormega, “Industry,” Mega Philosophy, 2014. More wisdom from ‘Mega…
There’d always be somebody that shoot down any dream.
There’ll always be haters, that’s the way it is:
Hater niggas marry hater bitches, and have hater kids.
- Kanye West, “Bring Me Down,” Late Registration, 2005. More gems from ‘Ye
Don’t care about culture, they only want profit.
If your album sell slow, bet you’ll get dropped quick;
Q-Tip warned us: the industry’s toxic.
For reference, check out BDP’s Sex and Violence.
- Cormega, “Industry,” Mega Philosophy, 2014
Felt like every bullet hit me when they flew out each 9.
I’ll be happy when I wake up and I have a free mind.
- Lil Herb, “The Neighborhood,” from Common’s Nobody’s Smiling, 2014
- Prodigy, “Give Up the Goods (Just Step),” from Mobb Deep’s The Infamous, 1995. More quotes from QB’s finest…
I’d run away from this bitch and never come back, if I could.
- 50 Cent, “Hate It or Love It,” from The Game’s The Documentary, 2005. More lyrics from 50…