When there’s trouble…I start shooting.
- Necro, “Pain,” from Necro & Kool G. Rap’s The Godfathers Once Upon a Crime, 2013
I’m David on pavement, sling another stone.
- Ka, “Up Against Goliath,” Grief Pedigree, 2012
No more weak ass Rose, that’s why the game too sweet.
We don’t wear tight ass clothes, we don’t do down South beats,
That ain’t New York–I restore our identification,
‘Cause dick-riding never been a form of transportation.
- Troy Ave, “Cigar Smoke,” New York City, 2013
- Tash, “Make Room,” from Tha Alkaholiks’ 21 & Over, 1993
A fool divorces his knowledge and misses the logic,
And loses his soul in the process.
- Canibus, “Poet Laureate II,” Rip the Jacker, 2003
Weighing in at 10 pounds, 8 ounces.
He was the last of my 4 children,
The only one who didn’t give me any pain when I gave birth to him.
…And that’s how I knew that he was a special child.
- Jay-Z’s mom, Gloria Carter, “December 4th,” The Black Album, 2003. Happy Bornday, Shawn Carter, born December 4, 1969.
Cause a wise man said: it was a cousin of death.
- Big Pun, “Who Is a Thug,” from Whiteboys soundtrack, 1999
Just close your eyes, count sheep and breathe deep.
Think about the sound of relief that surrounds you,
You were already gone before I found you.
- Slug, “Bleed Slow,” from Atmosphere’s Godlovesugly, 2002
Cause I’m the most slept on, and the most hated.
- The Game, “Sleep When I’m Gone,” from DJ Khaled’s We the Best Forever, 2011
Murder’s the cousin of madness, love is the cousin of that bitch.
- Ill Bill, “Secrets Worth Dying For,” from DJ Muggs & Ill Bill’s Kill Devil Hills, 2010
- Nas, “N.Y. State of Mind,” Illmatic, 1994
Into the paper…like I was ink.
When I’m writing I’m trapped in between the lines,
I escape when I finish the rhyme…
I got soul.
- Rakim, “I Know I Got Soul”, Paid in Full, 1987
Next the formation of words that fit.
At the table I sit, making it legit,
And when my pen hits the paper…ahhhh shit!
- Big Daddy Kane, “Ain’t No Half Steppin’,” Long Live The Kane, 1988
I’ll be the revolver, you can play the automatic.
Automatic flip scripts, revolver show loyalty.
Each gun is die-able, but only one’s reliable.
You shoot fast, but in the end you jam,
Then I click back, and turn your brains into spam.
- MF Grimm, “Crumb Snatchers,” Scars & Memories, 2005