You might not be amused;
But did you know White comes from Black?
No need to be confused.
- Chuck D, “Fear of a Black Planet,” from Public Enemy’s Fear of a Black Planet, 1990. More quotes from PE…
…Some people can fuck off and go to hell.
- B-Real, “Illusions,” Cypress Hill’s III: Temples of Boom, 1995.
Black boy, black boy, turn that shit down.
You know that America don’t wanna hear the sound
Of the bass drum jungle music, go back to Africa,
Nigga I’ll arrest ya if you’re holding up traffic.
I’ll be damned if I listen, so cops save your breath
And write another ticket if you have any left.
And I’m breaking eardrums while I’m breaking the law,
I’m disturbing all the peace cause Sister Soldier said ‘War!’
So catch me if you can, if you can, here’s a donut,
Cause once you drive away, yo, you know I’m gonna go nuts.
And turn it up to where it was before, nice try!
But you can’t stop the power of the bass in your eye.
- Masta Ace, “Jeep Ass Niguh,” SlaughtaHouse, 1993. More from Ace…
I gotta have corn beef and cabbage if I wanna manage.
I never eat pig, but I’ll fuck up a potato,
I’m not a dago, but pasta’s all that.
- Everlast, “Danny Boy,” from House of Pain’s self-titled debut, 1992
And ask myself: was I meant to be here…why?
- Ghostface Killah, “All That I Got Is You,” Ironman, 1996. More quotes from GFK…
This’ll be the last package I ever send your ass.
It’s been six months and still no word, I don’t deserve it.
I know you got my last two letters; I wrote the addresses on ‘em perfect.
So this is my cassette I’m sending you, I hope you hear it,
I’m in the car right now, I’m doing 90 on the freeway.
Hey Slim, I drank a fifth of vodka, you dare me to drive?
You know the song by Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight”
About that guy who coulda saved that other guy from drowning
But didn’t, then Phil saw it all, then at a a show he found him?
That’s kinda how this is, you coulda rescued me from drowning.
Now it’s too late; I’m on a thousand downers now, I’m drowsy,
And all I wanted was a lousy letter or a call.
I hope you know I ripped ALL of your pictures off the wall.
I love you Slim. We coulda been together, think about it.
You ruined it now, I hope you can’t sleep and you dream about it,
And when you dream I hope you can’t sleep and you SCREAM about it.
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can’t BREATHE without me.
- Eminem, “Stan,” The Marshall Mathers LP, 2000. More from Em…
Yet the strength to overcome it all keeps me sane.
- OC, “Gotta Luv It,” from Ray West and OC’s Ray’s Café, 2014
What you gon’ do?
Lift up your head and keep moving,
Or let the paranoia haunt you?
- Kendrick Lamar, “I,” 2014. More from K.Dot…
- Phonte, “Raw Life,” from Foreign Exchange’s Connected, 2004. More from Phonte…
Now my ex wanna trace my steps like Dick Tracy.
Chill on the pills love, you think I’m dicking Tracy?
- Blu, “Well Fare,” Good to be Home, 2014. More gems from Blu >
Religion only answers ‘Why?’
The two combined is the true design,
So respect to God cause He drew the lines.
- Oddisee, “Killing Time,” Tangible Dream, 2013. More from Oddisee >
- Oddisee, “Killing Time,” Tangible Dream, 2013. More from Oddisee…
The sun’s still shining off the same old lessons,
Then why does life feel like an educated guess?
And my thoughts are like meals…I’m a sucker for the seconds.
- Oddisee, “Own Appeal,” Tangible Dream, 2013. More from Oddisee…
Written on the dollar underneath the Masonic seal.
- Immortal Technique, “Bin Laden,” 12”, 2005. More from Immortal Technique…
I don’t think Bush did it, ‘cause he isn’t that smart.
He’s just a stupid puppet taking orders on his cell phone,
From the same people that sabotaged Senator Wellstone.
The military industry got it poppin’ and lockin’,
Looking for a way to justify the Wolfowitz Doctrine.
And as a matter of fact, Rumsfeld, now that I think back:
Without 9/11, you couldn’t have a war in Iraq,
Or a Defense budget of world conquest proportions.
Kill freedom of speech and revoke the right to abortions,
Tax cut extortion, a blessing to the wealthy and wicked,
But you still have to answer to the Armageddon you scripted.
And Dick Cheney? You fuckin leech, tell them your plans:
About building your pipelines through Afghanistan,
And how Israeli troops trained the Taliban in Pakistan.
You might have some house niggaz fooled, but I understand.
Colonialism is sponsored by corporations,
That’s why Halliburton gets paid to rebuild nations.
Tell me the truth, I don’t scare into paralysis,
I know the CIA saw Bin Laden on dialysis
In ‘98 when he was Top Ten for the FBI.
Government ties is really why the government lies,
Read it yourself instead of asking the government why
‘Cause then the Cause of Death will cause the propaganda to die.
- Immortal Technique, “Cause of Death,” Revolutionary Volume 2, 2003. More from Immortal Technique…