Liars, and triers and quitters,
Coulda-beens, wannabe’s, thought-I-was, isn’t-I-is’s…
And everybody in your business.
- Aceyalone, “Keep It True,” All Balls Don’t Bounce, 1995. More lines from Aceyalone >
as the great will dominate straight to the state
Of reignin’, gainin’…So put Kane in
That category. Period. End of story.
- Big Daddy Kane, “The Symphony,” from Marley Marl’s In Control, Volume 1, 1988. More from King Asiatic Nobody’s Equal >
All you do is disrespect and murder.
I ask that you not hurt my kids;
This is where you work…this is where I live.
- Ka, “Mr. Officer,” Iron Works, 2011. More quotes from Ka…
My whole city like ‘Fuck a cop,
Run the red light…fuck the stop.’
- Young Buck, “Ahhh Shit,” with G-Unit, 2014
When you define the game, you can’t lose.
- Ka, “Nothing Is,” Night’s Gambit, 2013. More Ka verbal jewels…
But Jesus told the truth, and the pastor’s a lying bastard.
All he talk about is economic elevation,
And all Jesus talked about was soul salvation.
Jesus sat with the sick and he walked with the poor,
If He gave blood for our sins, why we giving more?
I got some Gangster Disciples at church with me tonight,
With five dollars worth of gas, and a matchbook to light.
- Killer Mike, “Burn,” Pl3dge, 2011. More serious lyrics from Mike Bigga >
In order to survive, got to learn to live with regrets.
- Jay Z, “Regrets,” Reasonable Doubt, 1996
My healthy mind…that’s what’s gon’ help me over.
Life of a stoner (if you still concerned),
I never lose, I only win or learn;
It’s all about your state of mind.
- Dizzy Wright, “State of Mind,” State of Mind EP, 2014
Talk to ‘em honestly and they call you a hater.
- Immortal Technique, “Eye in the Sky,” from The Martyr, 2011
“Screamin’ ‘Carpe Diem!’ until I’m a Dead Poet.”
– Jay Z, “3 Kings,” from Rick Ross’ God Forgives, I Don’t, 2012. Rest in peace to the legend Robin Williams. He was 63 years old.
And I can’t keep watching the same movie.
- Mick Jenkins, “Jazz,” The Water[s], 2014
The most memorable girl was a Gangsta Bitch.
We went out a lot, sometimes we dressed the same,
Lickin’ shots in the park and had pet names:
I called her ‘Dollars’ cause that’s what she liked to spend;
She called me ‘Diamond’ cause my dick was her best friend.
- Apache, “Gangsta Bitch,” Apache Ain’t Shit, 1993
Or somebody bite the dust and we split like ends.
Even in our wildest moments, girl, I’m on it cause you’re worth it.
Practice makes perfect, so we fightin’ for a purpose.
- A$AP Rocky, “Wildest Moments (Remix),” from Jessie Ware’s Devotion, 2013
That’s that Wu and Mobb shit; don’t turn it up…blast it.
- Ghostface Killah, “Dirt (Remix),” from Mobb Deep’s The Infamous Mobb Deep, 2014. More from Ghost >
The better you sell, the better future for their children.
Controversy sells, so they support conflict,
Makes more progress, means more profit.
An artist gets killed, they say they’re ‘so sorry,’
Meanwhile, they tell you the date of his next project.
What a life…death made them more profit:
Record companies get paid for your drama.
- Cormega, “Industry,” Mega Philosophy, 2014. More wisdom from ‘Mega…