Cause I don’t want no girl with a Brillo face,
Or the type that’ll leave Jheri Curl juice on my pillow case.
- Lord Finesse, “I Like My Girls With a Boom,” Return of the Funky Man, 1992. More Lord Finesse quotes…
Run around hustlin…scared of the feds.
They said death is eternal sleep,
But the only thing is you ain’t really sure if you prepared for the bed.
- Styles P, “My Life,” A Gangster and a Gentleman, 2002
- Ka, “Knighthood,” Night’s Gambit, 2013. More from Brownsville’s Ka…
But when it isn’t reciprocated, it could become hate.
- Apathy, “It’s Only Hip-Hop,” Honkey Kong, 2011
It made me think for a minute, then looked in her eyes
…I coulda died.
- Andre 3000, “Da Art of Storytellin’ (Part 1),” from Outkast’s Aquemini, 1998. More from Outkast…
Cocaine, blunts, marinating in the water.
Lean and took a puff, and then she gave it to my father,
Used to take the bullets out so I could play with the revolver.
Satan serenading ever since I was a toddler,
Tell ‘em talk is cheap…niggas living for the dollar.
- Vince Staples, “Kingdom,” from Common’s Nobody’s Smiling, 2014
Can’t depend on friends to help you in a squeeze,
Please…they got problems of their own.
- Slim Kid Tre, “Runnin’”, from Pharcyde’s Labcabincalifornia, 1995. More Pharcyde quotes…
And I seem to stay under clouds that’s pitch black.
So when it rains, it pours, and when it pours, I’m soaked.
I contracted lung cancer from third hand smoke,
And I’m like the frog that’s dying to be a prince,
The boy who cried wolf and no one was convinced.
The man who hit lotto and lost his ticket,
In a rainstorm…and struck by lightning trying to get it.
- GZA, “Life Is a Movie,” Pro Tools, 2008. More brilliant lyrics from The GZA…
Freed the slaves so they put him on the five.
- Too $hort, “Money In The Ghetto,” Get In Where You Fit In, 1993
You always gotta watch motherfuckers around you.
Nobody’s invincible, no plan is foolproof,
We all must meet our Moment of Truth.
- Guru, “Moment of Truth,” from Gang Starr’s Moment of Truth, 1998
Those who chose to sleep…I wake em up,
Cause you’re sleepin with your mouth open hummin deez nuts.
- King Sun, “Humm Deez Nuts,” Strictly Ghetto EP, 1994. More King Sun quotes…
It has to do with lots of lovin’, and it ain’t nuttin’ nice.
- Q-Tip, “Electric Relaxation,” from A Tribe Called Quest’s Midnight Marauders, 1993. More from the Tribe…
Visions of yourself and error could never be clearer.
The truth is that you ugly…
Not on the outside, but in the inside;
On the outside, you frontin’ you lovely.
- Pharoahe Monch, “The Truth,” Internal Affairs, 1999. More Pharoahe Monch quotes >