I’m an artist, and I’m sensitive about my shit.
- Tech N9ne, “Fragile,” Something Else, 2013
For a rough rap sound, ain’t a place more suitable.
- Guru, “The Place Where We Dwell,” from Gang Starr’s Daily Operation, 1992. More lyrics from Guru…
For the betterment of Man, understand,
You ain’t nothing but a waste.
- Talib Kweli, “State of Grace,” Gravitas, 2013. More Talib Kweli quotes…
You may be older than me, but you’re new to this.
Cause I been out there, queen of MC’s,
When your man was walkin’ round in mocknecks and Lee’s.
While you were over here perpetratin’ a fraud,
I was overseas on the charts with Boy George.
You’re the beginner, Shante’s the winner,
Havin’ other competition for dinner.
Sit you on the table with a plate and cup,
Say grace…and then eat your ass up.
- Roxanne Shanté, “Go On Girl,” from Colors Soundtrack, 1988
Silly me rappin’ ‘bout shit that I really bought.
While these rappers rap about guns they ain’t shot,
And a bunch of other silly shit that they ain’t got.
- Jay-Z, “We Made It,” 2014
- Kool G. Rap, “Jive Talk,” from Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo’s Wanted: Dead or Alive, 1990. More Kool G. Rap quotes…
The synagogues of Satan might accuse or jail me,
Strip, crown, nail me, brimstone hail me…
They might defeat the flesh but they could never ever kill me.
They might feel the music but could never ever feel me.
- Jay Electronica, “Better In Tune With the Infinite,” 2014
I never saw a mile that I couldn’t hike.
I never had a spliff to make me choke,
I never had a pocket that was broke.
- Dres, “Flavor of the Month,” from Black Sheep’s A Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing, 1991
Cause I’d rather die like a man than survive like a punk.
- Bun B, “Re-Akshon (Remix),” from Killer Mike’s Monster, 2003
Nigga I’m too fat…
I fuck around and catch a asthma attack.
- Notorious B.I.G., “Runnin’ (Dying to Live)”, from Tupac Resurrection soundtrack, 2003, RIP Biggie Smalls
B.I.G. keep creepin’,
Casualties need treatin’,
Dumb rappers need teachin’.
- Notorious B.I.G., “Unbelievable,” Ready To Die, 1994
Pockets broke as hell, another rock to sell.
People look at you like you’s the user,
Selling drugs to all the losers, mad buddha abuser.
But they don’t know about the stress-filled day…
Baby on the way, mad bills to pay,
That’s why you drink Tanqueray,
So you can reminisce and wish
You wasn’t living so devilish, shit.
- Notorious B.I.G., “Everyday Struggle,” Ready to Die, 1994
Cause I went from negative to positive.
- Notorious B.I.G., “Juicy,” Ready to Die, 1994
Look at ‘em now…they even fuckin’ scared of us.
- Notorious B.I.G., “Things Done Changed,” Ready to Die, 1994
I’d probably have a key knee-deep in the crack game.
Because the streets is a short stop:
Either you’re slinging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot.
- The Notorious B.I.G., “Things Done Changed,” Ready to Die, 1994